Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Greene County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Clinton Baptist Church

 
 
Clinton Baptist Church Marker (side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 6, 2022
1. Clinton Baptist Church Marker (side A)
Inscription.  This church was organized in 1838 as Concord Baptist Church, located nearby on Trussells Creek. The first minister was Rev. William Manning. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. Moses Buttler, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Childs, Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Keith, Mr. John Richardson, Miss Elizabeth Tutt, and Mr. and Mrs. W.O. Williams. After seven years the name was changed to Clinton Baptist Church to reflect the location in the community. The church membership grew considerably in the late 1840s and 1850s. This growth along with frequent flooding of Trussells Creek led the congregation to erect a new building.

The original building was sold after the present building, a vernacular interpretation of the Greek Revival style of architecture, was dedicated in 1859. From the poverty which followed the Civil War to the 1920s, the Clinton community as well as the church went into a decline. But in the mid-1920s, when members of the Henderson, Pearce, Porter and Winston families from the Beulah Church joined the Carpenter, Pippen, and other remaining members, this church reorganized and the bell began to ring again.
Alabama Register
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Landmarks and Heritage 1996

 
Erected 1997 by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 32° 54.844′ N, 87° 59.698′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Alabama, in Greene County. Marker is on Alabama Route 39, 0.1 miles west of Alabama Route 14, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 AL-39, Clinton AL 35448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hardy Homeplace (approx. 6.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Welcome to Eutaw, Alabama: The Gateway To The Black Belt (approx. 8 miles away); Thomas Earl Gilmore, Sr. (approx. 8 miles away); A County Older Than The State, Greene County (approx. 8.1 miles away); Matthew Leonard (approx. 8.1 miles away); Greene County Veterans Monument (approx. 8.1 miles away); Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
Clinton Baptist Church Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 6, 2022
2. Clinton Baptist Church Marker (side B)
Clinton Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 6, 2022
3. Clinton Baptist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203606

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024