Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Greene in Greene County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Hardy Homeplace

Greene County

 
 
Hardy Homeplace Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 6, 2022
1. Hardy Homeplace Marker
Inscription.  In 1800, Thomas Reeves purchased 150 acres of land in this area and then passed it to his daughter, Elizabeth Reeves Hales in 1836. Rev. William Stith and Elizabeth Davie Hardy came to the West Greene community in 1879, where they bought a farm and started building the Hardy Homeplace. Elizabeth Hales' son, William H. Hales, Jr., married Elizabeth D. Hardy, daughter of William Stith and Elizabeth Hardy, on January 5, 1881, which joined the Hales and Hardy families' land. William Stith and Elizabeth Hardy built the present “I-House” in 1886 where they farmed and raised eight children. Rev. Hardy was an honored Methodist minister, a county official, and pastor of Sardis Methodist Church, that is within sight of this homeplace. He was the grandson and namesake of William Stith, the third President of the College of William and Mary (1752-1755). Direct descendants of the original builder and owner maintain the farm through the Wilkes Creek Plantation, LLC. The State of Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries designated the Hardy Homeplace as an Alabama Bicentennial Farm on December 7, 2017. The Alabama Historical Commission listed the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Hardy Homeplace in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on March 29, 2018.
 
Erected 2018 by Alabama Historical Commission • Donald Wales Wood • Mary Hardy Wood • Macy Elizabeth Wood.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 32° 55.411′ N, 88° 6.594′ W. Marker is in West Greene, Alabama, in Greene County. Marker is on County Road 117, 0.1 miles east of County Road 20, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boligee AL 35443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Clinton Baptist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Town of Gainesville (approx. 7˝ miles away); Woodbury (approx. 7˝ miles away); In Memory of James McCrory (approx. 8.7 miles away); Boligee Presbyterian Church (approx. 12.6 miles away); George Downer Field (approx. 13.6 miles away); Aliceville Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 13.9 miles away).
 
Hardy Homeplace Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 6, 2022
2. Hardy Homeplace Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203612

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024