Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Waco University

 
 
Waco University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 5, 2022
1. Waco University Marker
Inscription.  In 1861, Dr. Rufus C. Burleson (1823-1901) resigned as president of Baylor University (then located at Independence) to become head of the Waco Classical School, which had been founded in 1856 as the Trinity River Male High School by the Rev. Solomon G. O'Bryan. For 25 years Burleson worked tirelessly to make Waco University, as it was renamed in 1861, the pre-eminent Baptist College in the state, and by the early 1880s enrollment had reached over 400 students. In 1886, the Waco and Independence institutions were unified as Baylor University at Waco.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5695.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 31° 33.163′ N, 97° 7.636′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of South 5th Street and Clay Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South 5th Street. The marker is located at the corner of 5th Street and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Clay Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waco TX 76706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Waco (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Silos Baking Co. (about 600 feet away); The Old Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Earle Napier-Kinnard House (approx. ¼ mile away); Katy Park (approx. ¼ mile away); St. James United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Brann-Davis Shootings (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Waco Tornado (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
 
Also see . . .  Waco University. Waco History
When Waco incorporated in 1856, Baptists already held a significant presence in the small town. Seeking to establish a preparatory school for the provision of education for young Baptist men, First Baptist congregants banded together with the Trinity River Baptist Association in 1856 to create Trinity River Male High School, later called Trinity River Classical School. The small school held its first classes in 1857 in temporary quarters at First Baptist Church on Fourth Street. Hoping to expand the reach of the school, trustees purchased a 7 ½-acre tract of land south of the city plat between Fifth and Sixth Streets in 1859. With assistance
The Waco University Marker by the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 5, 2022
2. The Waco University Marker by the street
from the local community, the school constructed two large brick buildings. Source: Amanda Sawyer
(Submitted on August 13, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Waco University Marker from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 5, 2022
3. The view of the Waco University Marker from across the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203723

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024