Saskatoon in Corman Park No. 344, Saskatchewan — The Prairie Region (North America)
Little Chief Service Station
Serving The Community Since 1929
Built by the Texaco Oil Company in 1929, this building was an early Saskatoon landmark.
Originally known as West Side Service Station, the name was changed to Little Chief Service Station in 1943. Frank Carr, who operated the station between 1947 and 1980, helped to preserve much of its history.
The building was restored in 2002 and continues to serve the community as the Saskatoon Police Service Little Chief Community Station.
On February 10, 2003, it was designated a Municipal Heritage Property because of its Spanish Colonial architecture and its historical significance to the neighborhood.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 52° 7.582′ N, 106° 40.492′ W. Marker is in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in Corman Park No. 344. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 20th Street West and Avenue D South, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level on the southwest corner of the subject building, facing Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 344 20th Street West, Saskatoon SK S7M 1P9, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. C.P.R. Station, Saskatoon/Gare du C.P. (Saskatoon) (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Saskatoon Land Titles Building (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Firehall No. 3 (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); College Building (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); a different marker also named College Building (approx. 2.9 kilometers away); Wanuskewin (approx. 12.1 kilometers away).
Regarding Little Chief Service Station. Saskatoon Municipal Heritage Property (2003), and Canada Register of Historic Places (2003).
Also see . . .
1. Little Chief Service Station.
Cars and farm vehicles were often serviced at the station while owners shopped in the area. The restored building design makes use of white stucco walls, rounded roof tiles, decorative brick, heavy tiled cornices, roof parapets, iron windows and copper gutters. After renovations, the Saskatoon Police Service started using the building as a community policing station in 2003. In 2011 closing the community policing station was identified as a cost-saving measure, with a focus on(Submitted on August 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Little Chief Service Station.
The heritage value of the Little Chief Service Station resides in its Spanish Revival architecture. Built in 1928-1929 by Texaco Oil Company of Canada Ltd., it is Saskatoon’s only example of a Spanish Revival style service station. It was constructed in response to the growing use of motor vehicles for work and leisure. Farm vehicles and cars were regularly serviced at the station while their owners shopped along 20th Street, the main commercial artery of the Riversdale district. In 1943 the garage became the Little Chief Service Station, serving Saskatoon in this role for several decades.(Submitted on August 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.