Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canton in Stark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Church Of The Savior

A Walk with the President

 
 
Church Of The Savior Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
1. Church Of The Savior Marker
Inscription.  
When William McKinley returned to Canton after serving in the Civil War, he joined the First Methodist Church and became very active. He was a member of the Board of Trustees, served as a Sunday School teacher, and a Sunday School superintendent.

Even as President of the United States, he maintained an active participation in both worship and leadership in this church. Following his assassination in 1901, President McKinley's body was brought back to Canton. His funeral service was held in this church, and his casket was carried in and out of the church on the right-hand set of stairs facing Tuscarawas Street.

In the sanctuary are four stained glass windows, donated by Ida Saxton McKinley, depicting the four phases of her husband's life as a soldier, lawyer, statesman and humanitarian. The church maintains a room exhibiting a collection of McKinley memorabilia which is open to the public.
 
Erected by McKinley Museum / United National Bank & Trust.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionGovernment & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 47.918′ N, 81° 22.572′ W. Marker is in Canton, Ohio, in Stark County. Marker is on Tuscarawas Street West east of Cleveland Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Cleveland Ave SW, Canton OH 44702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. President McKinley (here, next to this marker); Stark County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ralph Hay / Jim Thorp (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The National Football League Was Born Here on September 17, 1920 (about 300 feet away); Birth of the NFL (about 300 feet away); Ralph Hay Way (about 400 feet away); Judge Leroy J. Contie, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Mayor Stanley A. Cmich (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
 
Church Of The Savior Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
2. Church Of The Savior Marker
Church Of The Savior National Register Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
3. Church Of The Savior National Register Plaque
Church Of The Savior Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
4. Church Of The Savior Cornerstone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204185

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024