Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lyons in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lyons Methodist Church

 
 
Lyons Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
1. Lyons Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized at High Prairie (5 mi NW) before 1880. The Rev. John R. Dunn was the first pastor. After the railroad came to Lyons, moved here. Erected 1887, this is the oldest church building in regular use in this areas.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968

 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8642.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 30° 23.217′ N, 96° 33.912′ W. Marker is in Lyons, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is at the intersection of Pecan Drive and Southern Oak Drive, on the left when traveling north on Pecan Drive. The marker is located on the middle front wall of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13639 Pecan Drive, Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lyons (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oaklawn Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Somerville
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of the Somerville Harvey House (approx. 3.6 miles away); 1906 Reunion of Hood's Texas Brigade (approx. 3.6 miles away); Somerville (approx. 3.6 miles away); James W. Lauderdale (approx. 3.6 miles away); Thomas J. Gary (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Lyons, TX (Burleson County). Texas State Historical Association
Lyons is on State Highway 36 two miles from Lake Somerville in south central Burleson County. When the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built its main line through Burleson County in 1880, a construction workers' camp, known as Camp Pennington, was established near what is now the site of Lyons. Saloons, established near the camp to serve the railroad workers, soon formed the basis for a small railroad community. Early settler W. A. Lyon gave fifty acres of land to the railroad for a right-of-way and established the first general store near the settlement. It was first called Lyon's Station but later became known as Lyons. It soon became the trading center for outlying communities and at one time was the second largest town in the county. Cattle, cotton, and cottonseed were regularly shipped by rail from the
The Lyons Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
2. The Lyons Methodist Church and Marker
town. Businesses included a cotton warehouse, an oil mill, a millinery shop, a drugstore, a hotel, four general stores, three cotton gins, and several blacksmith shops, livery stables, and photo galleries.
(Submitted on August 18, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Lyons Methodist Church and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
3. The view of the Lyons Methodist Church and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204215

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024