Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Point Marion in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Point Marion

History

 
 
Point Marion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, August 4, 2022
1. Point Marion Marker
Inscription.  
Point Marion History

In 1724 the French set up a trading post where the Monongahela and Cheat Rivers meet.

As settlers moved into the frontier Colonel George Wilson was granted 108 acres of land at the site of the original trading post.

Following the Revolutionary War the legislatures of Virginia and Pennsylvania agreed to abide by the Mason-Dixon Line as the boundary between the two states. The point where the rivers meet which had been in Monongalia County, Virginia, was now in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Fayette County was formed in 1783.

In 1784 General George Washington made a six week long trip across the mountains to inspect his property in western Pennsylvania. On September 24 he wrote that he had crossed the Cheat River. "Crossed in Cheat at the mouth as it was too much swelled up to attempt to ford a little higher up. This Cheat, at the mouth, is about 125 yards wide. The Monongahela is nearly double that. The color of the Cheat is dark, the other is clear."

The land at the point was sold by the Wilson family to Jacob Sadler in 1801. Land was divided into lots and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
auctioned to the public on March 15, 1842. The purchaser of the first lot was to name the new town. For $100 Seth Stafford chose "Point Marion" to honor General Francis Marion, the Revolutionary War hero and subject of the most popular book at the time.

The principal business in Point Marion was lumber. Logs were floated down the Cheat River from camps in the West Virginia mountains and processed into millwork for doors and sashes. Planing mills, saw mills, and finishing mills were operating.

In 1890 McClain Brothers Sand Company was formed to provide sand and gravel for masonry structures being built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad between Morgantown and Uniontown. Production expanded with the addition of dredges, a steamboat, and fleet of barges.

The glass industry arrived in Point Marion in 1900. Morris Glass Company, Jeannette Glass Company, Federated Window Glass Company, Point Marion Glass Novelty Company, Nilan Glass Company, and Point Marion Window Glass Company operated plants.

On July 5, 1923, Leon J. Houze consolidated three smaller firms to form the L.J. Houze Convex Glass Company. It was known for colored glass, art glass, utilitarian products, and window glass. It was the only plant in the country able to produce hand-blown replacements for the 1792 windows for the White House renovation in the early 1950s. In later years
Point Marion Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, August 4, 2022
2. Point Marion Marker
the company used innovative techniques to decorate a diverse line of products for other manufacturers. Houze was the prime employer in Point Marion for almost 100 years. It closed in 2004.
 
Erected 2022 by Sheepskin Trail.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is March 15, 1842.
 
Location. 39° 43.948′ N, 79° 54.202′ W. Marker is in Point Marion, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker is on South Main Street, 0.1 miles north of 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the Sheepskin Trail trailhead. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 780 South Main Street, Point Marion PA 15474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sheepskin Trail (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Crossing the Mon at Point Marion, Pennsylvania (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Historic Downtown Point Marion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Point Marion (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Point Marion.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 182 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204233

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024