Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

of Caldwell

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation was organized by the Rev. Hugh Wilson, an early Presbyterian missionary noted for his active work on the Texas frontier. Although the first account of the church appears in an 1850 document, it is likely that the congregation was organized soon after the city of Caldwell was founded in 1840. During the 1880s, the congregation met in the Methodist Church building. A 1906 fire destroyed the Presbyterians first sanctuary. The congregation is an important historic link to the early days of Burleson County and the beginning of the Presbyterian Church in Texas.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8629.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 30° 31.706′ N, 96° 41.8′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Buck Street and South Moore Street, on the right when traveling west on West Buck Street. The marker is located on the right side of the front entrance to the church.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 West Buck Street, Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Warren Lodge No. 56, A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¼ mile away); Caldwell National Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Burleson County in World War II (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Caldwell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
 
Also see . . .  Caldwell, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Caldwell, the county seat of Burleson County, is at the intersection of State highways 21 and 36, in the center of the county. In 1840, when the Texas Congress annexed to Milam County all of Washington County north of Yegua Creek and west of the Brazos River, Caldwell was designated as the county seat of a new county to be formed. The proposed town, surveyed by George B. Erath and named for Mathew Caldwell, was laid out parallel to the Old San Antonio Road and west of Davidson Creek; the site encompassed a settlement founded by Lewis L.
The front entrance to the First Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
2. The front entrance to the First Presbyterian Church and Marker
Chiles. Until Burleson County was organized in 1846, Caldwell served as the county seat of Milam County.
(Submitted on August 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The First Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
3. The First Presbyterian Church and Marker
The view of the First Presbyterian Church and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 9, 2022
4. The view of the First Presbyterian Church and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204236

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024