Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaver in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort McIntosh 1978 The Site Restoration

 
 
Fort McIntosh 1978 The Site Restoration Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
1. Fort McIntosh 1978 The Site Restoration Marker
Inscription.  In 1974, an archaeological excavation was undertaken to determine the exact location and configuration of the Fort McIntosh site. From stone footers and other artifacts uncovered by the dig, the size and shape were discovered to be much larger than originally supposed. More than 80,000 artifacts of all types were recovered from the site and carefully cataloged. Because of the rocky soil, the logs which formed the walls of the fort and buildings were laid horizontally on fieldstone footers, which also served to fill in small deviations in low places. As depicted in the stone tablet at the Flag Plaza, the outer log walls of the fort also served as the back walls of the barracks and were given protection from enemy approach by the angled bastions at each of the four corners.

The archaeological work was completed in 1978 in time for the celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the fort in October of that year. The site was officially rededicated by General William Westmoreland and was attended by the present-day Old Guard which traces its beginnings to this site.

The Fort was ultimately decommissioned by the Army
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 1788, when the above-ground artifacts were removed and the walls were dismantled to prevent further use as a fortification. Many of the logs later found their way into other structures in this area, including the log house at the Beaver Area Historical Museum. To learn more about Fort McIntosh, stop by the Beaver Area Heritage Museum. The Museum has created a permanent Fort Mcintosh display that will intrigue those interested in the revolutionary period. Also relive a bygone era by spending time at another attraction, the 1802 Log House. The museum and log house are located about five blocks east of these grounds near the big railroad bridge or visit our website: www.beaverheritage.org.
 
Erected by Beaver Area Heritage Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1974.
 
Location. 40° 41.458′ N, 80° 18.238′ W. Marker is in Beaver, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is on River Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 740 River Rd, Beaver PA 15009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort McIntosh (here, next to this marker); Commanding Officers (here, next to this marker); General Lachlan McIntosh (here, next to this marker); Fort McIntosh 1778 The Campaign
Fort McIntosh 1978 The Site Restoration Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, July 24, 2022
2. Fort McIntosh 1978 The Site Restoration Marker
(a few steps from this marker); Fort McIntosh 1784-1785 The First American Regiment and The Treaty of Fort McIntosh (a few steps from this marker); Fort McIntosh 1776 The Frontier (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort McIntosh (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort McIntosh (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaver.
 
Also see . . .  Beaver Area Heritage Museum. (Submitted on August 19, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204299

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024