Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

And Then There Was War

 
 
And Then There Was War Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, May 29, 2009
1. And Then There Was War Marker
Inscription.  
"We were just boys, mere boys, and then there was war and half of us were dead or wounded."

 
Erected 1993 by Class of 1944.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: HeroesMilitary.
 
Location. 34° 40.9′ N, 82° 50.25′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker can be reached from Old Greenville Highway (State Highway 93). Marker is located on the grounds of Clemson University, near Mell Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clemson SC 29631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mell Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Holtzendorff Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Clemson Cannons (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Godfrey Hall (about 300 feet away); Clemson Military Heritage (about 500 feet away); Military Heritage Plaza (about 500 feet away); Integration with Dignity, 1963 (about 700 feet
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Thomas Green Clemson (about 700 feet away); Tillman Hall (about 700 feet away); Quercus lyrata (Overcup Oak) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clemson.
 
More about this marker. Scuplture by T.J. Dixon and James Nelson.
 
Also see . . .
1. Clemson University. Official website of Clemson University. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Clemson University Historic District #1. Clemson University Historic District I includes eight historic resources (four academic buildings, a recreational building, a post office, a marching and athletic field, and a park) located on the northern portion of the campus. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Mell Hall (1939)
In 1938 Clemson College sold the parcel of land now occupied by Mell Hall to the United States government for a post office to serve both the college and the community. The building was completed in 1939 and Postmaster General James A. Farley
And Then There Was War Marker -<br>Class of 1944 War Deceased (A-L) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, May 29, 2009
2. And Then There Was War Marker -
Class of 1944 War Deceased (A-L)
presided over its dedication the next year. The Clemson University Post Office was not only an excellent example of public architecture of the period, but also featured a large interior mural. In 1973 the university and town of Clemson built separate post offices and this building was returned to the university. It was renamed Mell Hall in memory of Patrick H. Mell, president of Clemson from 1902 to 1910, and its renovation was one of the university's first successful rehabilitation projects.

Exterior: This one-story, rectangular brick building is covered by a lateral hipped roof, which features an octagonal, traceried lantern. the facade is symmetrical and features a central entrance with eight-light transom and is flanked by eight-over-eight, double-hung-sash windows defined by pilasters. Single, segmentally arched, eight-over-eight, double-hung-sash windows are centered on each side of the entrance arrangement. These windows are repeated on the side elevations. There is an extended central hipped bay and loading platform at the rear elevation.

Alterations include a concrete access ramp at the facade and two brick infilled window openings at the north entrance. A modern aluminum door is retrofitted in the entrance. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
    — Submitted July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott
And Then There Was War Marker -<br>Class of 1944 War Deceased (L-W) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, May 29, 2009
3. And Then There Was War Marker -
Class of 1944 War Deceased (L-W)
of Anderson, South Carolina.
 
And Then There Was War Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, May 29, 2009
4. And Then There Was War Statue
And Then There Was War Statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, May 29, 2009
5. And Then There Was War Statue
And Then There Was War Statue -<br>Detail of Soldier's Face image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, May 29, 2009
6. And Then There Was War Statue -
Detail of Soldier's Face
Mell Hall (1939)<br>Clemson University Historic District #1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, August 1, 2009
7. Mell Hall (1939)
Clemson University Historic District #1
Mell Hall (1939)<br>Clemson University Historic District #1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, August 1, 2009
8. Mell Hall (1939)
Clemson University Historic District #1
Mell Hall<br>Former U.S. Post Office<br>Historic Postcard image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott
9. Mell Hall
Former U.S. Post Office
Historic Postcard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,692 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   7, 8, 9. submitted on June 16, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20486

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024