Brandon, Manitoba — Canada’s Prairie Region (North America)
122 18th Street
Brandon's first mayor, Thomas Mayne Daly, hired local architect firm McCoskie & Co. to design this house for him in 1882 during Brandon's first decade of settlement. Daly was also appointed as Canada's first Juvenile Court Judge in 1909. This building features Georgian architectural characteristics such as a steeply-pitched roof, hipped dormers, and molding details on the dormers and under the eaves. The Italianate features voussoirs and sills, a bay window, a decorative brick belt and brick corbelling. The building also housed “The Maples” orphanage and is now home to the Daly House Museum which opened in 1978.
Erected by Brandon Municipal Heritage Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 49° 50.872′ N, 99° 57.736′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Manitoba. Marker is on 18th Street (Provincial Highway 10) just south of Rosser Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted at eye-level Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 18th Street, Brandon MB R7A 5A5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Mayne Daly (a few steps from this marker); Brandon College (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Prairie College (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Coronation Park (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Sir Clifford Sifton (approx. one kilometer away); Central Fire Station #1 (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Kemnay Pioneer Memorial (approx. 12.2 kilometers away).
Also see . . .
1. Daly House Museum.
When Daly and his family moved to Roseland, BC in 1896, the house was sold to Daly's law partner George Robson Coldwell. The Coldwell family lived in the house for approximately 32 years. In 1930 the Children's Aid Society purchased the building and used it to house The Maples, a children's shelter that ran out of the building until 1971. After five years of vacancy, the non-profit organization Brandon Museum Inc. took over the building. Much of the original architecture is intact, including hardwood floors, brick fireplace and an oak staircase.(Submitted on August 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Daly House Museum.
Built(Submitted on August 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.