Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Orphan Brigade at Dallas
Late afternoon, Lewis’ Ky. (Orphan) & Finley’s Florida brigades, [CS] made a desperate assault across the ravine & scaled the high ground W. - the Orphans in the advance - their losses, 51 per cent because of failure to receive orders to withdraw.
This futile attempt by the Ky. Orphans is one of the notable instances of heroism & disaster in the Atlanta Campaign.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historic Commission. (Marker Number 110-13.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 28, 1862.
Location. 33° 55.208′ N, 84° 49.765′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Merchants Drive (Georgia Route 6) 0.1 miles west of Hampton Drive, on the right when traveling west. The marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 Merchants Drive, Dallas GA 30132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dallas - New Hope Line (approx. half a mile away); Dallas (approx. 0.6 miles away); A. Lafayette Bartlett (approx. 0.7 miles away); Paulding County (approx. ¾ mile away); Confederate Line (approx. ¾ mile away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. 0.9 miles away); Armstrong's Advance (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Also see . . . The Orphan Brigade. A history of the Orphan Brigade and origin of the name. (Submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,841 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.