Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dripping Springs in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dripping Springs Academy

 
 
Dripping Springs Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 29, 2022
1. Dripping Springs Academy Marker
Inscription.  Founded 1881 by W.M. Jordan, noted Baptist preacher. Its stone building was given to Pedernales Baptist Association 1883; then to Public School District, 1889. Second floor was added, 1920. It became property of Rambo Lodge #426 A.F. and A.M., 1952.
Recorded texas Historic Landmark - 1968

 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10261.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationFraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 30° 11.601′ N, 98° 5.374′ W. Marker is in Dripping Springs, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Fitzhugh Road and Mercer Street, on the left when traveling north on Old Fitzhugh Road. The marker is located on the right side (south side) of the front entrance to the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Old Fitzhugh Road, Dripping Springs TX 78620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Dripping Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Marshall-Chapman Home
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); W.T. Chapman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Joseph M. Pound (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dripping Springs United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Phillips Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Elsner (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mt. Gainer (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dripping Springs.
 
Also see . . .  Dripping Springs Academy. Texas State Historical Association
Dripping Springs Academy, at Dripping Springs, was established in 1881 by W. M. Jordan, W. T. Chapman, and several other residents. The Pedernales Baptist Association managed it from 1882 until 1889, when dissatisfied local citizens caused the association to discharge the governing board and appoint a new one. The school reached a peak enrollment of 200 students, but when state-funded schools drew students away and local citizens demanded a public school, the association closed the academy. The campus consisted of a stone main building and two boarding houses. The main building served as a public schoolhouse from 1889 to 1949. In 1968 it
The front entrance to the Dripping Springs Academy and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 29, 2022
2. The front entrance to the Dripping Springs Academy and Marker
was dedicated as a historic landmark.
(Submitted on August 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Dripping Springs Academy from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 29, 2022
3. The view of the Dripping Springs Academy from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 188 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205091

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024