Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elgin in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Elgin

Centennial, 1872-1972

 
 
City of Elgin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
1. City of Elgin Marker
Inscription.  After Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through this area in 1871, town was platted (1872) and named for Robert M. Elgin (1825-1913), H.& T.C. Land Commissioner.

Brick and tile, for which Elgin is widely known, have been chief products here since 1882 when Thomas O'Connor (1846-1937) made hand molded, sun-dried brick. Other manufacturing and agricultural products bolster the economy.

Settlers of six ethnic origins have made the city a center of cultural richness, with good homes, churches and schools.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9179.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational AreasRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 30° 21.305′ N, 97° 22.721′ W. Marker is in Elgin, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on North Main Street (Farm to Market Road 1100) 0.1 miles west of East 11th Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is located in the southeast corner of the Elgin Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elgin TX 78621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elgin Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Elgin (approx. half a mile away); Dr. I.B. Nofsinger House (approx. half a mile away); Elgin Christian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elgin Lodge No. 328, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elgin World War I Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lund (approx. 3.6 miles away); Pleasant Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elgin.
 
Also see . . .
1. Elgin, Texas. Wikipedia
In 1871, the Houston and Texas Central Railroad (succeeded by the Southern Pacific Transportation Company) built through the area and established a flag stop called Glasscock named for George W. Glasscock, a local resident and Republic of Texas soldier who lived in the area in the 1830s. Glasscock was renamed on August 18, 1872, for Robert Morris Elgin, the railroad's land commissioner, following the practice of naming new railroad towns after officers of the company. Elgin was established. The original plat placed the train depot in the center of a one-square-mile area.
(Submitted on September 3, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
City of Elgin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
2. City of Elgin Marker
 

2. Houston & Texas Central Railroad. Texas State Historical Association
The charter for the Galveston and Red River Railway was obtained by Ebenezer Allen of Galveston on March 11, 1848. However, the company did not become active until 1852, when, after a series of meetings at Chappell Hill and Houston, the charter was made available for the proposed railroad from Houston to the Brazos River and the interior of Texas. On January 1, 1853, Paul Bremond and Thomas William House broke ground for the G&RR at Houston. Although early progress was slow, considerable grading had been completed by the end of 1855. Track laying began in early 1856, and the rails reached Cypress City, the twenty-five-mile point, on July 26, 1856. On September 1, 1856, the company was renamed Houston and Texas Central Railway Company.
(Submitted on September 3, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the City of Elgin Marker in the park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
3. The view of the City of Elgin Marker in the park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 141 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205292

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024