Near Elgin in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lawhon Springs Cemetery
David Burl Lawhon later purchased the Smith land, added two more acres to the original one-acre cemetery and changed the name to Lawhon Springs Cemetery. In 1884, Lawhon sold the cemetery land to trustees to manage the property for the community.
The first person interred here was the slave of John Lewis Smith, who requested he be buried next to Smith. He was buried in an unmarked grave above the spring on the sandy
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18812.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 30° 24.765′ N, 97° 15.289′ W. Marker is near Elgin, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 619, 2.4 miles north of Farm to Market Road 696, on the left when traveling north. The marker is located on the west side of the highway at the front of the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2432 FM619, Elgin TX 78621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. V.F.W. Memorial (here, next to this marker); Pioneer Publisher and Printer David Ervin Lawhon (approx. 0.9 miles away); Post Oak Island Lodge #181, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 2.2 miles away); Pleasant Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Type Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Adina Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Knobbs Springs Baptist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elgin.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.