Near McDade in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Knobbs Springs Baptist Church
The church moved to a lot near the Lower Knobbs Cemetery and then in 1897 near Meeks Cemetery. By 1911, members started construction on a new sanctuary. In the 1930s, membership began to decline as residents moved to larger cities and towns to find employment, and in 1947, the church tore down their old building and erected a new, smaller one. The congregation persisted, and in 1972 held a revival which helped spur membership growth. To meet the needs of the growing congregation, the Texas Baptist Men Retirees, under the leadership of Olen Miles, who played a significant role in the development of the church, constructed
Knobbs Springs Baptist Church has historically been a hub for the surrounding community. The congregation has also been involved in area Baptist organizations and in missions on state, national and international levels. Today, the Knobbs Springs Baptist Church congregation continues to be a spiritual leader, reaching out to the local area and the world at large.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16362.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1860.
Location. 30° 21.682′ N, 97° 11.866′ W. Marker is near McDade, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 305 and County Highway 311, on the left when traveling east on County Highway 305. The marker is located in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1662 County Road 305, Mc Dade TX 78650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Siloah Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Adina Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lawhon Springs Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); V.F.W. Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Three Oaks (Goerlitz) CemeteryMcDade Baptist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Capt. Jesse Billingsley (approx. 5.7 miles away); Pioneer Publisher and Printer David Ervin Lawhon (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McDade.
Also see . . . Knobbs Springs, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Knobbs Springs, known at various times as The Knobbs, Knobbs, or Gleam, is a rural community just off Farm Road 696, twelve miles west of Lexington in far western Lee County. The area was named for Yegua Knobbs, three small hills nearby, and apparently was first settled around the time of the Civil War. A community of Wends settled there in the 1880s, and the town prospered briefly in the 1880s and early 1890s. A post office under the name Gleam was opened in 1889. By 1896 the town had three churches, two cotton mills, and an estimated population of 300.(Submitted on September 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.