Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Lexington

 
 
Town of Lexington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
1. Town of Lexington Marker
Inscription.  Settled in 1837 in area then part of Burleson County; named for Massachusetts town where the American Revolution began. First inhabitants of the area were Tonkawa Indians. The first white settler was James Shaw (1808-1879), a young surveyor and teacher from Ohio. He received a land grant for service in 1836 in the Battle of San Jacinto. He settled here 1837, and set up first post office at nearby String Prairie community, 1849. Although early cotton industry declined, the town revived, 1890, when San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad reached here.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8167.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 30° 24.872′ N, 97° 0.607′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Wheatley Street and 3rd Street on Wheatley Street. The marker is located in the central park by the gazebo. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 616 Wheatley Street, Lexington TX 78947, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lexington Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington Masonic Lodge No. 138 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); United Methodist Church of Lexington (about 600 feet away); The First Baptist Church of Lexington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lexington Memorial Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Indian Camp Branch (approx. one mile away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Kings Highway Camino Real — Old San Antonio Road (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lexington, Texas. Wikipedia
Lexington's first postoffice was called String Prairie in 1848, named for the surrounding prairie. The first postmaster was veteran and legislator, James Shaw. In 1850, residents changed the name of the settlement to Lexington to honor the location of the first battle of the American Revolution.
(Submitted on September 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Tonkawa. Wikipedia
Scholars once thought the Tonkawa originated in Central Texas. Recent research, however, has shown
The Town of Lexington Marker in the city park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
2. The Town of Lexington Marker in the city park
that the tribe inhabited northwestern Oklahoma in 1601. By 1700, Apache and Wichita enemies had pushed the Tonkawa south to the Red River which forms the border between current-day Oklahoma and Texas. In the 16th century, the Tonkawa tribe probably had around 1,900 members. Their numbers diminishes to around 1,600 by the late 17th century due to fatalities from new infectious diseases and conflict with other tribes, most notably the Apache.
(Submitted on September 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Town of Lexington Marker is next to the gazebo image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
3. The Town of Lexington Marker is next to the gazebo
The marker is on the left side of the sidewalk next to the gazebo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205361

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024