Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

United Methodist Church of Lexington

 
 
United Methodist Church of Lexington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
1. United Methodist Church of Lexington Marker
Inscription.  The Lexington Methodist Episcopal Church, South, appears in the records of the east Texas conference as early as 1850, with the Rev. Jefferson Shook assigned as pastor. Its history, however, can be traced through the histories of four other Lee County churches.

The Liberty Methodist Episcopal Church, South, met west of Lexington and the two congregations shared the same pastor when the church disbanded in the 1930s, some of the members joined this congregation.

Tanglewood Methodist Episcopal Church, South, served the Tanglewood community (5 Mi. N). During the 1930s the congregation sold its land and church building and forwarded the proceeds to the Lexington Church, and the few remaining members came into this congregation.

The early chapel congregation met in the northern part of the county as early as 1850. Members of the dwindling fellowship voted to move their memberships to the Lexington Church in 1927.

The German Methodist Church in Lexington was founded in 1882 with the Rev. Jacob Ott as first pastor. In 1939 the two Lexington Methodist congregations merged.

With its membership additions
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
over the years, the United Methodist Church of Lexington has grown to provide significant service and leadership to the community.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8171.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 30° 24.811′ N, 97° 0.519′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Rockdale Street, on the right when traveling north on North Rockdale Street. The marker is located on the north side of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 North Rockdale Street, Lexington TX 78947, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lexington Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Lexington (about 600 feet away); The First Baptist Church of Lexington (about 800 feet away); Lexington Masonic Lodge No. 138 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lexington Memorial Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Indian Camp Branch (approx. 0.9 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Kings Highway Camino Real — Old San Antonio Road (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
United Methodist Church of Lexington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
2. United Methodist Church of Lexington Marker
The view of the United Methodist Church of Lexington and Marker from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 31, 2022
3. The view of the United Methodist Church of Lexington and Marker from across the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205369

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024