Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Philipsburg in Granite County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

First Presbyterian Church

Philipsburg Historic District

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2022
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Reverend Milton Cook organized Philipsburg’s first Presbyterian congregation in 1877 and Reverend George Edwards came from Missoula to preach once a month. But it was not until 1891 that Reverend Samuel Wishard established a permanent Presbyterian congregation in Philipsburg. Services and Sunday school were held in the schoolhouse until summer 1893 when the present building welcomed its first worshippers. An early cold snap, however, forced the congregation to move services to the Methodist Church until heating stoves could be installed. The building’s unusual hexagonal copper dome and intricate scrollwork make its steeple the most distinctive among Philipsburg’s churches. A Gothic window with tracery, lancet openings, and a round window embellish the simple frame façade. Fondly known as the “White Church,” the building takes its place along “church row” on the north side of Broadway. The local watering holes are all on the opposite side of the street, maintaining the historic separation of secular and spiritual. Presbyterians held services here until 1990 when they joined with the Methodists to share their facility.
 
Erected by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 46° 20.043′ N, 113° 17.748′ W. Marker is in Philipsburg, Montana, in Granite County. Marker is on West Kearney Street near California Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 West Kearney Street, Philipsburg MT 59858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schuh-Nowak Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 102 West Kearney (about 500 feet away); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Granite County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Patten Residence (about 600 feet away); Wilson Brothers Building (about 600 feet away); J.K. Merrill and Sons Dry Goods (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philipsburg.
 
First Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2022
2. First Presbyterian Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205541

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024