Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stanleytown in Henry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Henry County Courthouse

 
 
First Henry County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, September 8, 2022
1. First Henry County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Henry County's first courthouse stood near here, either on the land that became Edgewood or in the area that became Stanleytown. In 1777, the first court of Henry County acquired land from Henry Barksdale and decided to build a courthouse. Completed in 1780, the courthouse served as a hospital during the American Revolution for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene's men in Mar. 1781. In 1792, the county courthouse was moved to the newly established nearby town of Martinsville.
 
Erected 2012 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A-110.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
 
Location. 36° 44.387′ N, 79° 57.022′ W. Marker is in Stanleytown, Virginia, in Henry County. Marker is on Fairystone Park Highway (Virginia Route 57) east of Old Stage Road (County Route 798), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 755 Fairystone Park Hwy, Stanleytown VA 24168, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Fort Trial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Waller's Ford (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Historic John D. Bassett High School (approx. 3 miles away); The Dick & Willie Passage (approx. 4.1 miles away); Changing Landscapes (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Dick & Willie Passage (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fayette Street (approx. 5.2 miles away); Historic Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away).
 
First Henry County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, September 8, 2022
2. First Henry County Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2024. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2022, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2022, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205769

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024