Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canal Market District
Passageway: Stories from Newark, Ohio, designed and painted in 2016 by Curtis Goldstein. Along the corridor from the Licking County Courthouse to Pennsylvania Railway station, Passageway combines historic elements from the 1800's to the 1920's.
Evan's Drug Store
Having grown up in Pennsylvania, and having graduated from the Pharmacy School at Ohio Northern in Ada, Thomas J. Evans came to Newport in 1894 to seek his place in the world. Tommy, as he was commonly known, began as an apprentice in a local drug store, of which Newark had 10 in 1900. By 1910, he had his own drug store on South Record Street. By 1930, he had a second store located on North Park Place. In addition to his owning and operating two drug stores, he invested in other local business, including The Newark Telephone Company and The Park National Bank. In 1965 he established the Thomas J. Evans Foundation with one million dollars.
Crane-Krieg-Flory Co. Hardware
Crane-Krieg-Flory Co. Hardware, located at 11 S. Park Place, was founded on the Square as McCune and Bros. Hardware before 1870. O.W. Crane
Henry S. Fleek & Son
In the age before refrigeration and automobiles, every city was dotted with corner grocery stores. Almost all were small, family owned businesses. Newark, in 1900, had 72 grocery stores of this type. Henry S. Fleek & Son, Wholesale Grocers was founded before the Civil War to stock these stores. Initially it was called T.J. Davis & Co., and John S. Fleek began as a junior partner. After the War, John S. Fleek rose to operate the firm, and it was continued by his son Henry S. Fleek, who joined the business in the late 1880's. Henry S. Fleek died in 1939, but the business continued to operate on South Third Street in downtown Newark until 1953, closing after 92 years in business.
Edward James Roye, Newark Barber
Various towns in Ohio have been the birthplace of eight presidents of the United States. Newark was the birthplace of Edward
Wehrle Stove Co.
The Moser and Wehrle Foundry was established on South Buena Vista Street in Newark in 1883 by Col. Joseph C. Wehrle and John Moser. Joseph Wehrle had emigrated to Newark from Germany in 1839, raised a company of soldiers in Newark during the Civil War and rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel. In 1903 the Wehrle family, Joseph and his two sons William and Augustine, bought out Moser, and the sons operated the company as The Wehrle Stove Company until its sale in 1936. At its height in the early 20th century, the company employed over 2,000 people at its factory between Union Street and Wehrle Avenue and
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1871.
Location. 40° 3.433′ N, 82° 24.084′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on South Park Place east of South 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 S Park Pl, Newark OH 43055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Ohio Canal Mural (within shouting distance of this marker); Chalmers Pancoast Photo Mural (within shouting distance of this marker); Attack On America (within shouting distance of this marker); War Savings Stamps (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Licking County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Gilbert Reese Family Foundation (about 300 feet away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (about 300 feet away); The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.