Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mesick in Wexford County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Wexford County Courthouse

 
 
First Wexford County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, September 9, 2022
1. First Wexford County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
Wexford County was organized in 1869. The law organizing the county also specified that the county seat should be located “at or near what is called Manistee Bridge,” where the Newaygo and Northport State Road crossed the Manistee River. In 1870 the village of Sherman was platted just south of the bridge. The first county courthouse, completed in 1872, was located about two hundred feet west of this marker. After a heated controversy, the county offices were transferred in 1881 to Manton, a small town in the eastern part of the county. The dispute was finally settled in 1882 when Cadillac was chosen as the county seat of Wexford County. The old courthouse in Sherman was used as a school until 1937.
 
Erected 1969 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L74.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 44° 25.476′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 85° 41.926′ W. Marker is in Mesick, Michigan, in Wexford County. Marker is at the intersection of North 13 Road (State Highway 37) and West 14 Road, on the right when traveling south on North 13 Road. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mesick MI 49668, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monumental Highway (approx. 8 miles away); Caberfae Ski Resort (approx. 12˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Wexford County, Michigan.
The county was established by the Michigan Legislature in 1840 as Kautawaubet County, after a Potawatomi phrase meaning "broken tooth," and the name of a local Potawatomi chief. In 1843, legislators renamed the county Wexford, after County Wexford in Ireland. It was formally organized in 1869.
(Submitted on September 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Sherman, Wexford County's first settlement.
Sherman, located in the northwest section of Wexford County near the Manistee River, was first settled in the early 1860's. A store was opened in 1867. The community was platted in 1869 and became an incorporated as a village in 1887. Sherman was the Wexford County seat from 1869 to 1881 when it was transferred
First Wexford County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, September 9, 2022
2. First Wexford County Courthouse Marker
(looking north along Michigan Highway 37 from West 14 Road)
to Manton. The first European-descendent settler in the county was Benjamin W. Hall who, in 1862, built his cabin at the Manistee River in Hanover Township near the present village of Sherman.
(Submitted on September 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205912

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024