Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Jewett Interurban Car Company

 
 
Jewett Interurban Car Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, September 2, 2022
1. Jewett Interurban Car Company Marker
Inscription.  William S. Wright founded the Jewett Car Company in 1897. Located in Jewett, Ohio, the company manufactured street cars and interurban cars. The Newark Board of Trade enticed the firm to the city by offering a free ten acre site, $8,000 in cash, and a new building on Williams Street.

Interurban cars were sleek and clean compared to coal burning steam trains. They could reach up to 80 mph, carry more passengers, and be repaired easily.

From 1900 to 1930, the electric interurban railway system was the major means of travel. As the automobile emerged, the use of the interurban system declined until it was abandoned in the 1940's.

Original bricks and rails used in this early 20th century transportation system were unearthed during Downtown renovations in 2017. They are placed here in the crosswalk median to preserve this piece of Newark's history.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 40° 3.533′ N, 82° 24.076′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on North Park Place, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 N Park Pl, Newark OH 43055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In honor of Jerry McClain (a few steps from this marker); Architectural Artifact from The Old Home, 1914 (within shouting distance of this marker); "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McCune-Stimson House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Licking County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tree (about 300 feet away); Trinity Parish Military Personnel Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Jewett Interurban Car Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, September 2, 2022
2. Jewett Interurban Car Company Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205995

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024