Marquette in Marquette County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Northern Michigan University
Established by the legislature in 1899 as a normal school to provide teachers for the Upper Peninsula, Northern opened with thirty-two students, six faculty members, and Dwight B. Waldo as principal. A four-year collegiate program was introduced in 1918, and the first bachelor of arts degree was conferred two years later. In the 1950s Northern became a multi-purpose institution placing emphasis on instruction, service, and research. In 1960 it established its own graduate program leading to the master of arts degree. Serving an ever-increasing student body, Northern in 1963 achieved university status through an act of the legislature.
Erected 1966 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number S115.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 46° 33.421′ N, 87° 24.074′ W. Marker is in Marquette, Michigan, in Marquette County. Marker can be reached from Lee Drive just Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette MI 49855, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of NMU War Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks Boys (within shouting distance of this marker); Northern's Original Campus (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Shiras III (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Steam Railroad in Upper Peninsula (approx. 1.1 miles away); Marquette Fire Department (approx. 1.1 miles away); Janzen House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Marquette's Fire Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marquette.
More about this marker. Both sides of this marker have the same inscription.
Also see . . .
1. Northern's History.
Northern's first day of classes, now celebrated as NMU's birthday, was held on September 19, 1899. During this time, educating teachers was the sole mission of the school. Northern underwent its first name change to Northern State Teacher's College in 1927, and changed again in 1942 to Northern Michigan College of Education. With more diversified courses came a new name, Northern Michigan College, in 1955. Under the state constitution in 1963, Northern was granted(Submitted on September 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Northern Michigan University.
When it opened in 1899, NMU enrolled thirty-two students who were taught by six faculty members in rented rooms in Marquette city hall. The original 20-acre campus site at the corner of Presque Isle and Kaye Avenues was on land donated by local businessman and philanthropist John M. Longyear, whose namesake academic building, Longyear Hall, opened in 1900.(Submitted on September 12, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.