Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal

 
 
Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, March 5, 2022
1. Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal Marker
Inscription.  

The earliest recorded visit of an Episcopal priest to Corpus Christi was that of the Rev. Lucius H. Jones in 1857. Three years later, a congregation was formally organized on the second floor of the Nueces County Courthouse. Bishop Alexander Gregg appointed the Rev. S.D. Davenport as the first minister. The women of the congregation soon organized a group known as the Dorcas Sewing Society, which over the years has provided much support to the church.

The early years of the church were difficult ones. Corpus Christi's location on the edge of the frontier and the coming of the Civil War contributed to this difficulty. There are no recorded meetings of the church from 1862 until the end of the Civil War, and the congregation was without a minister for almost 11 years. During the late 1870s, the Church of the Good Shepherd constructed its first permanent building at the corner of Taylor and Chaparral streets. Additional facilities were built later, and in 1926 the congregation moved to its current location.

Over the years, the church has emphasized programs of Christian education, ecumenical cooperation, and missionary
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
activity in Corpus Christi.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6308.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 27° 47.187′ N, 97° 23.785′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on South Water Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 S Water St, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard and Minerva King House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Corpus Christi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Centennial Memorial Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Corpus Christi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Army Deserters Hanged in Corpus Christi (approx. 0.4 miles away); Felix Von Blucher (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Kinney's Trading Post (approx. half a mile away); Centennial House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
 
Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, March 5, 2022
2. Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206013

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024