Au Train in Alger County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1972 by Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L176.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Immigration • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 46° 24.383′ N, 86° 51.049′ W. Marker is in Au Train, Michigan, in Alger County. Marker is on Autrain Forest Lake Road, 2.2 miles south of State Highway 28, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Superior (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Grand Island Nishnaabe (approx. 2.7 miles away); Face in the Rock (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bay Furnace Ruins (approx. 7.3 miles away); What’s Old? What’s New? (approx. 7.3 miles away); Location is Everything! (approx. 7.4 miles away); Russell A. Alger (approx. 9.2 miles away); Munising Public Dock (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Au Train.
Regarding Paulson House. National Register of Historic Places #72000590; also a Michigan State Historic Site.
Also see . . .
1. Paulson House at AuTrain Lake.
The log house stands two stories with three rooms upstairs and five rooms on the first floor, including an attached kitchen, and is about 1800 square feet. The upstairs was used as a school room in the late 1880s and currently reflects that period. Designated a Michigan Historic site in 1972, the Paulson House is open in the afternoon from 2:00 to 5:00 Sunday thru Friday during the Summer.(Submitted on September 14, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Paulson House.
Paulson homesteaded the surrounding area, growing cabbages. He also owned a local gravel pit. The upper floor of the cabin was used as a school room in the early part of the 20th century. Paulson and his wife lived in the cabin until their deaths in 1925. One of Paulson's daughters continued to live in the house until her death in the 1930s The Russell family lived in the house from the mid-1940s to the mid-1950s. The house was vacant for some time, until the 1970s when it was extensively rehabilitated both inside and out. The house is now a museum.(Submitted on September 15, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.