Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
East Union Street
Originally a part of the Capitol Block, which was set aside in 1864 for a Territorial Capitol Building, the south half of the block was sold at auction. John Lawler, a miner, capitalist and real estate developer, bought the entire block and built a "double house" on the east end of the block. The Lawler House is unique because it is one structure containing two houses divided down the middle from front to back along the lot line. It is also very plain, with none of the typical features of the popular Victorian architecture of the day. Between 1893 and 1899 he sold lots to three others, based on their financial and social status to create a San Francisco style "Nob Hill" district overlooking the town from the top of the hill.
Homes were built by Henry Goldwater, C.A. Peter and Jake Marks. The Henry Goldwater House at 217 E. Union, was built in 1894 in a Victorian Melange style. A conical roof on the southwest corner suggests a turret even though none actually exists. Goldwater was one of the brothers who founded Goldwater Mercantile Company. The C. A. Peter House at 211 E. Union was the last one to be built on the block. It is
Erected by The City of Prescott.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 34° 32.442′ N, 112° 28.026′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of East Union Street and South Marina Street on East Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Union Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Goldwater Brothers Mercantile (about 400 feet The Day Octagon (about 500 feet away); Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (about 500 feet away); Knights of Pythias Building (about 600 feet away); Hassayampa Inn (about 600 feet away); Site of Howey's Hall (about 600 feet away); Prescott Public Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Also see . . . City of Prescott History. City website entry (Submitted on July 30, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,548 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. 3. submitted on July 9, 2009. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.