Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oakland Normal School

 
 
Oakland Normal School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 15, 2022
1. Oakland Normal School Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1882, the Oakland Normal School provided professional training for black school teachers for three decades. G.R. Townsend served as first principal, but for most of the school's existence it was directed by Robert L. Smith, a respected educator who also served in the Texas Legislature. Conducting classes during spring and summer vacation periods, Oakland Normal School provided educational opportunities to teachers from seven southeast Texas counties. It was considered one of the finest institutions of its kind in the state.
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3652.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 29° 36.079′ N, 96° 49.849′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 532 and Silver Street, on the right when traveling south on Highway 532. The marker is located along the west side of the highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1920 FM 532, Oakland TX 78951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland (here, next to this marker); Clear Creek Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hackberry (approx. 3˝ miles away); Andrews Chapel Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Navidad Baptist Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of Former Town of Lyons (approx. 5.9 miles away); Marshall and Malinda Mitchell (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
Also see . . .  Oakland, TX (Colorado County). Texas State Historical Association
Oakland is just southwest of the intersection of Farm roads 532 and 2144, on the Lavaca county line eight miles south of Weimar in northwest Colorado County. It is on a site originally granted to James Bowie. As early as 1844 the community, then called Prairie Point, had a store on the stage line between Columbus and Gonzales.
(Submitted on September 16, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Oakland Normal School Marker is on the left of the two markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 15, 2022
2. The Oakland Normal School Marker is on the left of the two markers
The view of the Oakland Normal School Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 15, 2022
3. The view of the Oakland Normal School Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206222

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024