Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County
Thus began a gold rush that sparked the settlement and development of central Arizona, and the choice of Prescott as the first Territorial Capital. Before then, this area was almost totally unknown to white men, and gold mining prospects had been known only along the Colorado and Gila Rivers.
Joseph R. Walker led this group of explorers and miners on an expedition that started in California and went through portions of Northern Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico before ending here two
The other twenty-three members of the "Original Prospectors" listed in their organizational document were: Joseph R. Walker, Jr., John Dickson, Jacob Linn, Jacob Miller, James V. Wheelhouse, Frank Finney, Sam Miller, George Blosser, A. C. Benedict, S. Shoup, T. J. Johnson, Daniel Ellis (Conner), Abner French, Charles Taylor, H. B. Cummings, William Williams, G. Gillalan, Jackson McCrackin, Rodney McKinnon, Felix Cholet, M. Lewis, James Chase, and George Coulter.
When the company was officially disbanded six months later, Captain Walker noted with satisfaction that: "We opened the door and held it open to civilization and now civilization will do the rest."
Jack W. (Jack) Swilling (1830 - 1878) led the first party of non-Indians to explore the Hassayampa River in January 1860 where he and his companions declared that "this new region has the finest indications of gold of any they have ever seen." In 1867 Swilling began the first canal building company in the Salt River Valley, leading to the beginnings of Phoenix and surrounding communities.
Joseph R. Walker, (1798 - 1876) played a dramatic half-century role in the opening of the American
Erected by Prescott Corral of Westerners International.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1860.
Location. 34° 32.455′ N, 112° 28.211′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on South Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89), on the right when traveling west. This marker is about ten feet from the "Montezuma Street" marker. They face each other on the west side of the street at a pedestrian crossing. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Montezuma Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montezuma Street (here, next to this marker); The Palace Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Whiskey Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Bandstand (within shouting distance Prescott (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel St. Michael (within shouting distance of this marker); Bashford Burmister Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 3,321 times since then and 440 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. 2. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on July 7, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.