Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Novohrad School

 
 
Novohrad School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
1. Novohrad School Marker
Inscription.  For decades, Novohrad School provided educational opportunities for children living in the rural Bohemian community of Novohrad. By the 1880s, Novohrad, which took its name from a town in Bohemia, was a growing settlement consisting of a store, cotton gin, nursery and residences. In 1882, local residents established Novohrad School along with the nearby Grieve School, built for children of German families.

Students attended class in a one-room building on property sold by Anna and Wenzel Wagner, Sr. to Kasper Holub, President of the Board of Trustees. Anna Neigebauer and Emma and Jim Rab later sold additional acreage to the school. A two-room structure that included a stage used for plays (including Czech productions performed by adults), graduation ceremonies and other activities replaced the first school in 1900. The new building housed up to ten grades, although not every grade was represented each year. Peak enrollment was 81 students; classes included geography, history, math, english, reading, spelling and physical education. Some pupils learned to read and write in the Czech language in extracurricular tutoring. The school
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
also had volleyball, basketball and baseball teams.

Two former students, George Pavlicek and Adolph Rab, lost their lives in military service during World War II. In 1953, Novohrad School closed and most students began attending classes in the Moulton Independent School District. Many of the former students achieved professional success due in part to their education at this school. Today, the school is remembered as a place of learning for children of Czech descent living in the rural Novohrad community.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14043.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSportsWar, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 29° 36.8′ N, 97° 4.139′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 256 and County Highway 263 on County Highway 256. The marker is located at the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Komensky School (approx. 3 miles away); Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store (approx. 3.8 miles away); Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (approx. 3.9 miles away);
The view of the Novohrad School Marker from the highway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
2. The view of the Novohrad School Marker from the highway
SPJST Velehrad Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Site of Velehrad School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Moulton’s World War II Observation Tower (approx. 4.8 miles away); Site of the Camp of the Texas Army (approx. 5.1 miles away); Moulton (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
Also see . . .  Novohrad, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Novohrad is a decentralized farming and ranching community ten miles northeast of Moulton on Farm Road 1295 in northern Lavaca County. In the early days of the Republic of Texas, Norman Woods, son of Zadock Woods and a survivor of the Dawson Massacre, received a grant to land on the old La Bahía Road and Big Rocky Creek. There in 1880 Frank Migl built a store and cotton gin, and J. R. Jasek, formerly a botanist for the government of Bohemia, operated a nursery. The community that grew around these businesses took its name from a town in Bohemia.
(Submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Novohrad School Marker looking east image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
3. The view of the Novohrad School Marker looking east
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206434

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024