Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Witting in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Witting School

 
 
Witting School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
1. Witting School Marker
Inscription.  In the 1870s to 1880s a considerable number of German-speaking immigrants migrated to northwestern Lavaca County. One of them was George Witting, who was a wealthy commission merchant originally from Columbus, Texas. Witting became a large landowner in the area and in September 1880 he donated an acre of land to Peter Pundt, Gerhard Boening and Fritz Gehrles as trustees of the German-English non-sectarian school association for the purpose of building a school.

That year a single-room wood frame building measuring 20 x 40 feet with a small storeroom in the back was constructed at a cost of $540 and named after Witting. By 1890, enrollment had ballooned and forced the district to drill a water well and to erect a new three-room schoolhouse with a long porch, a windmill and a cistern house. Before 1919, the Witting School was maintained entirely upon tuition which was $2.00 per student per term.

The Witting schoolhouse served the little community as a place for public meetings, gatherings and some social events. The local Evangelical Lutheran congregation also used it for more than 40 years as its temporary church for Sunday
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
services and bible study groups. The Lavaca County School Board closed the Witting School and consolidated it with two other schools in 1969. Witting School was one of the oldest rural schools in Lavaca County and one of the last to close. With its sale, the long, proud history of the Witting School came to a close and ended 89 years of service as a focal point of rural education in northwestern Lavaca County.
 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17825.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1880.
 
Location. 29° 30.568′ N, 97° 3.389′ W. Marker is in Witting, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Witting Road (County Highway 277) 0.1 miles south of Farm to Market Road 340. The marker is located on the west side of Witting Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Oak Grove School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Site of Breslau School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Site of Komensky School (approx. 4˝ miles away); Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sulphur Park (approx. 5˝ miles away); Ponton Family
The view of the Witting School Marker looking north image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
2. The view of the Witting School Marker looking north
(approx. 5.7 miles away); Wied Hall (approx. 5.7 miles away); Moulton’s World War II Observation Tower (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Witting, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Witting is at the intersection of Lavaca County Road 277 and Farm Road 340, midway between Hallettsville and Moulton in northwestern Lavaca County. On September 15, 1831, Edwin Richeson, a member of Green DeWitt's Gonzales colony, received a land grant from the Mexican government between Smeathers Creek and the south bank of the Lavaca River. The land was well-watered rolling prairie suited for pasture and cultivation of cotton and corn. Following the Civil War much of the land became small farms, and German immigrants began replacing the earlier Anglo-American residents. A community with a store operated by H. Barbade, a blacksmith shop, and a cotton gin grew near the center of Richeson's grant and was named for George Witting, a large landowner.
(Submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Witting School Marker looking south image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
3. The view of the Witting School Marker looking south
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206435

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024