Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Oak Grove School

 
 
Site of Oak Grove School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
1. Site of Oak Grove School Marker
Inscription.  According to local tradition, Oak Grove School was established as early as 1882 and named for a grove of post oak trees located near the school's original one-room building. The school, which probably offered primary through eighth grade instruction, stood on property owned by August and Ernestine Wenske.

The first recorded documentation concerning the Oak Grove School is included in a deed executed by the Wenskes in 1894 containing information on the sale of land for school purposes.

The school building was enlarged in the early 1900s into an L-shaped structure and in 1909 Oak Grove School added another teacher to its faculty. A new three-room schoolhouse was built in 1928 and by 1937 Oak Grove had increased its faculty to three persons. The main road to the school was upgraded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) between the years 1938 and 1942.

The community supported the school by sponsoring numerous fund-raising activities. Although Oak Grove School had advanced its curriculum to the tenth grade by the mid 1940s, it nevertheless closed its doors after the 1959-1960 term following its merger with the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Moulton Independent School District.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4844.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 29° 30.726′ N, 97° 6.098′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 340, 0.2 miles east of County Highway 278, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located along the highway at a roadside pullout on the north side of the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Witting School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Sulphur Park (approx. 2.9 miles away); Ponton Family (approx. 3.1 miles away); Cotton Grove Dance Floor & Store (approx. 3.7 miles away); Moulton’s World War II Observation Tower (approx. 4.1 miles away); St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Moulton Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Orrin L. Winters Cabin (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
Site of Oak Grove School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
2. Site of Oak Grove School Marker
The view of the Site of Oak Grove School Marker from the highway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 19, 2022
3. The view of the Site of Oak Grove School Marker from the highway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206438

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024