Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burnet in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Fort Croghan

 
 
Site of Fort Croghan Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 3, 2009
1. Site of Fort Croghan Marker
Inscription.  Established by Lieut. C. H. Tyler, United States Second Dragoons, by order of the War Department, March 18, 1849, as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Abandoned in December, 1853 as the settlements had extended farther west.
 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 9711.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 18, 1873.
 
Location. 30° 45.488′ N, 98° 14.253′ W. Marker is in Burnet, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on Buchanan Drive. In front of Fort Croghan Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 Buchanan Dr, Burnet TX 78611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rocky Rest (approx. half a mile away); Old Cook Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Burnet Bulletin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Red Brick School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Burnet County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Oldest Commercial Building in Burnet (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Burnet County (approx. 0.7 miles away); General Adam R. Johnson (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burnet.
 
Also see . . .
1. Frontier Defense in the Civil War: Texas' Rangers and Rebels. As noted on the powder house plaque, after its use as an Army Post(1849-1853) Fort Croghan was later used by frontier "Minute Men" and local settlers. This was especially true during the Civil War. During that time, Texas faced the unique problem of not only being involved in the Civil War itself, but defending itself against attacks by Indians -- notably Comanche and Kiowa -- and from rustlers, deserters and outlaws that took advantage of Civil War to step up their activities. This book tells that story. (Submitted on February 18, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) This website may earn income if you use this link to make a purchase on Amazon.com. 

2. Handbook of Texas Online. Discussion of the setup of the Frontier Organization (Minute Men) during the Civil War, which included the Third Frontier District. (Submitted on February 18, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Example muster roll for "minute men" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney
2. Example muster roll for "minute men"
This is an example of a muster roll for "minute men" of the 3rd Frontier District. This one is for 2nd Sgt A.J. Stanford, whose commanding officer was Capt. Christian Dorbandt. Copy obtained from Texas State Archives, Austin, TX.
Marker visible in front of museum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 3, 2009
3. Marker visible in front of museum
Powder House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney
4. Powder House
One of the original buildings in orginal location.
Capt. Christian Dorbandt - Ft. Croghan - 1850 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 3, 2009
5. Capt. Christian Dorbandt - Ft. Croghan - 1850
A memorial step to the Powder House commemorates Christian Dorbandt, an early pioneer of Burnet. During the Civil War, served as Commanding Officer, 3rd Frontier District, Texas State Troops; see "Minute Men" referenced on Powder House plaque.
Powder House Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 3, 2009
6. Powder House Plaque
Plaque reads 'One of 8 buildings of Fort Croghan, U.S. Army Post, 1849-1853; Later used by frontier "Minute Men" and local settlers.'
Post Mountain Lookout Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 3, 2009
7. Post Mountain Lookout Building
The sign reads "The Lookout Building -- was originally located on the West side of Post Mountain and was used to watch for hostile Indians. It was so situated that you could see for miles"
Post Mountain image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 3, 2009
8. Post Mountain
Fort Croghan sits at the northeast base of Post Mountain.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,872 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 20, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   2. submitted on February 18, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 20, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20644

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024