Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monroe in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

City of Monroe / Monroe Historical Society

 
 
City of Monroe side of the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 19, 2022
1. City of Monroe side of the marker
Inscription.  
City of Monroe Monroe. Nathanial Sackett (1768-1854) and John H. Piatt (1781-1820) platted Monroe in 1817, naming it for President James Monroe. Monroe was a stagecoach stop between Cincinnati and Dayton and grew to be a rural village surrounded by farms and dotted with small factories, incorporating in 1907. Beginning in the mid-1950s and coinciding with the construction of Interstate 75, the village expanded geographically, through the annexation of surrounding farmland, and continued to grow in population. Monroe officially became a city in 1995, when its population exceeded 5,000 people (5,380). As of its bicentennial year of 2017, Monroe was home to more than 13,000.

Monroe Historical Society. The Monroe Historical Society was founded in May 1967 to rescue and relocate the c. 1800 Pioneer Log Cabin to Monroe Community Park. More than 50 years later, the society remains dedicated to preserving area history and operates three sites: the cabin, the 1910 General Store, which it occupied in 1990, and the society’s museum and headquarters, opened in 2010.
 
Erected 2020
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
by City of Monroe; Monroe Historical Society; Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 46-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
 
Location. 39° 26.535′ N, 84° 21.721′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of East Elm Street and Cincinnati Dayton Road, on the right when traveling west on East Elm Street. The marker stands in front Monroe Historical Society Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 E Elm Street, Monroe OH 45050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vietnam Veterans Memorial (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monroe Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Road of Remembrance (approx. 3.6 miles away); The First Pedigree of a Poland China Hog (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio (approx. 4.4 miles away); Union Village (approx. 4˝ miles away); Butler County Civil War Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away); Middletown Korean Conflict Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
 
Monroe Historical Society side of the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 19, 2022
2. Monroe Historical Society side of the marker
City of Monroe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 19, 2022
3. City of Monroe Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2022, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2022, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206448

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024