Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Columbia in Brown County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Daly Corners

 
 
Daly Corners Marker image. Click for full size.
September 17, 2022
1. Daly Corners Marker
Inscription.  In 1880, John Daly and his four sons - George, John Charles ("JC"), Edward and Austin arrived at this location from Michigan.

It was here that "Daly Corners" started. On the northwest corner was J.C. Daly's tree claim and his homestead was on the southwest corner. George B. Daly's tree claim was on the northeast corner while his homestead was on the southeast corner. Edward Daly located 3/4 mile south and Austin was located one mile south and 1/2 mile east. John Daly was one mile south.

Through the years, the Daly's had turned the bare prairie into a grove of trees and had nearly every variety that would grow in the northern climate. The evergreens were and still are a landmark for Daly Corners and Brown County. Both J.C. and George B. Daly's claims had large groves and they joined into one continuous grove making this a center for picnics and social affairs and a meeting place for discussion of politics and farm problems.

From 1893 to 1967, Daly Corners school was located in the grove on the northwest corner. In the Thirties, dances were held in the grove on the northeast corner.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1999 by Brown County Landmarks Commission, D.A.R., the Daly family and the South Dakota State Historical Society. (Marker Number 686.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 45° 38.792′ N, 98° 12.427′ W. Marker is near Columbia, South Dakota, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of 401st Avenue (County Road 18) and 120th Street (County Road 9), on the right when traveling north on 401st Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SD 57433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbia Marsh (approx. 5.1 miles away); Columbia (approx. 5.8 miles away); Father Alexandra Ravoux (approx. 6.7 miles away); The View from the Top (approx. 7.1 miles away); Sand Lake's Observation Tower (approx. 7.1 miles away); Waterfowl (approx. 7.3 miles away); Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge (approx. 7.3 miles away); Songbirds (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Daly Corners Marker, from the south image. Click for full size.
September 17, 2022
2. Daly Corners Marker, from the south
Daly Corners Marker, from the north image. Click for full size.
September 17, 2022
3. Daly Corners Marker, from the north
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2022. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2022.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206716

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 22, 2024