Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ingleside in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Ingleside Schools

 
 
Early Ingleside Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, February 19, 2022
1. Early Ingleside Schools Marker
Inscription.  

Early education in Ingleside began in the 1850s when settlers John P. and Susan Hatch Borden established Bay Seminary in 1854. The Bordens' school was closed by 1860. Henry Nold bought land from the Bordens and opened Ingleside College in 1857. Nold expanded the curriculum and built more frame structures for at least 30 boarding students. During the Civil War the college buildings were torn down. A school in nearby Allendale was built about 1872 and was active until 1910. The Ingleside public school system began about 1900.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1345.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 27° 50.257′ N, 97° 13.147′ W. Marker is in Ingleside, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1297 S Main St, Ingleside TX 78362, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ingleside (here, next to this marker); McGloin Bluff Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(here, next to this marker); Late Pleistocene Ingleside Fauna (approx. 2.7 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Aransas Pass First Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Terminal Railroad (approx. 6.4 miles away); Great Land Lottery of Aransas Pass (approx. 6.6 miles away); VFW (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ingleside.
 
Early Ingleside Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, February 19, 2022
2. Early Ingleside Schools Marker
The marker is seen to the right of the Ingleside Marker at Cove Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206880

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024