Mathis in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Mathis
Organized in 1905, the First Baptist Church of Mathis has served this community for more than 100 years. Thomas H. Mathis, for whom the community is named, offered two lots each to any church that would erect a building of worship. A Methodist congregation in nearby Lagarto accepted the offer and moved to the new town of Mathis. The same year, the Rev. Isaac Willingham, together with seven charter members, organized First Baptist Church. Members met in the Methodist church building once a month before later holding meetings in a hall above a local store. In 1906, members completed construction of a one-room church building.
The church grew steadily in its early years; membership increased particularly during periodic revival services. In 1939, First Baptist Church began a relationship with a Hispanic mission. In 1944, the First Baptist Church purchased the mission, and members voted to pay for a fulltime pastor for the Mexican Baptist Mission. By 1955, members erected a new mission building, and in 1980, it was constituted as Primera Iglesia Bautista.
Members have had a long history of service regionally and nationally.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13981.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 28° 5.465′ N, 97° 49.769′ W. Marker is in Mathis, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is on South Bee Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 S Bee St, Mathis TX 78368, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Henry Mathis Ranch (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Lipantitlan (approx. 8.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Lipantitlan (approx. 8.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort LipantitlanOld Cemetery on the Hill (approx. 10 miles away); Old Dougherty House (approx. 10 miles away); Saint Patrick's Catholic Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Education in San Patricio (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.