Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Victoria
On May 15, 1852, eight men and women, including a slave, joined together to organize the First Baptist Church of Victoria. That evening they elected the Rev. D.B. Morrall as pastor, and he performed the first baptismal service the following morning. After six months, a Northern Baptist missionary, the Rev. J.A. Kimball, came to serve Victoria and the surrounding area. At that time, the Baptist congregation met in the local Methodist Church building, sharing maintenance expenses with their neighbor congregation.
Five years after the first church meeting, the Victoria Baptists met in a new structure, with a Baptist sanctuary on the ground floor and an Odd Fellows Lodge hall on the second floor of the frame building. The congregation continued meeting at their building, on Diamond Hill, until the Civil War; records indicate there was only one formal meeting between 1861 and 1877. That year, church trustees sold the Diamond Hill property and purchased a new site. In 1878, the congregation bought a steeple bell that had blown into the Gulf of Mexico when a storm hit Indianola. The bell was placed outside the church building and rung before worship services, and has since moved with the congregation to its subsequent sanctuaries, including a 1936 structure and later a 1960s sanctuary at this site.
Throughout its years as a congregation, Victoria's First Baptist Church has offered worship and education programs to its community. Its Sunday School program began in 1897. The congregation has supported the organization of local mission churches. In recent years, the church property has served as relief shelter for victims of natural disasters and the congregation has supported other community programs, demonstrating commitment to service.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13868.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 15, 1852.
Location. 28° 48.155′ N, 97° 0.471′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. It is on U.S. 59T Business. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 US-59T Business, Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and on the Gulf Coast. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Henderson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James A. McFaddin Home (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Victoria (about 600 feet away); Proctor House (about 700 feet away); Home County of William Pinckney McLean (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victoria County Korea Fallen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victoria County World War II Fallen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Victoria County Vietnam Fallen (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

