Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkhart in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart

 
 
First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 26, 2022
1. First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart Marker
Inscription.  The first Methodist service held in this area was in 1840. When a group of citizens formed a small congregation that met in private homes. In 1878 a Methodist mission was established in Elkhart. The Rev. J.F. Henderson, a circuit riding minister, was in charge of this as well as seven other missions in his district. In its first fifteen years, the church was served by nine different clergymen.

By November 1892, the congregation had grown such that plans were made to build a sanctuary. A white frame structure was erected, with a high steeple and bell tower on one corner. A Sunday school program began, and in 1907 the church created a youth ministry which continued over the years to form the Methodist Youth Fellowship. A missionary society was formed in 1915 by the women of the church.

In late 1930, under the leadership of the Rev. J.L. Webb a new church building program was begun. A one-story structure was completed in 1933, and a second story was added in 1939. A brick parsonage was built near the church in the 1950s, and by 1971 the need for a new sanctuary had arisen. The addition was made onto the northeast side of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the old church, and was consecrated on September 15, 1974.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8749.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 15, 1974.
 
Location. 31° 37.591′ N, 95° 34.723′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Parker Street (State Highway 294) and Church Street, on the left when traveling west on East Parker Street. The marker is located at the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 East Parker Street, Elkhart TX 75839, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Elkhart (approx. half a mile away); Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Henry High School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Replica of Pilgrim Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Pilgrim Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); In Honor of the Veterans Buried at Pilgrim (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Miles Bennett (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
 
Also see . . .
The entrance to the First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 26, 2022
2. The entrance to the First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart and Marker
 Elkhart, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Elkhart is at the intersection of State Highway 294 and U.S. Highway 287, eleven miles south of Palestine in southern Anderson County. In 1851 members of Daniel Parker's Pilgrim community moved to land around Boxy Creek to take advantage of the new post office and a newly established railroad. With the efforts of a friendly Indian, the newcomers settled into a community that continued to survive. They named the town after the Indian. A nearby spa served many socialites with its excellent mineral waters.
(Submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart and Marker from the parking lot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 26, 2022
3. The view of the First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart and Marker from the parking lot
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=207066

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024