Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkhart in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Elkhart

 
 
First Baptist Church of Elkhart Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 26, 2022
1. First Baptist Church of Elkhart Marker
Inscription.  After the Civil War, the Cromwell family moved to Elkhart in Anderson County. Finding no organized Baptist church in the community, J.W. Cromwell decided to organize a Baptist church. In April of 1886, Cromwell and six other charter members founded the Baptist Church of Elkhart and called on Reverend Julius Burk to serve as the first pastor. A church home was established in 1876 on the Quarles Plantation for the purpose of a school and church, known at that time as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1897, land was sold to the Missionary Baptist Church and a wooden structure was erected. The church moved a third time when the wooden structure burned in 1943. Sadly, all of the church records were lost. The church then moved to the old Mercantile Building but it also burned in 1963. After briefly using the Elkhart High School auditorium, the church purchased land from the Funderburk family and built a new structure. The new church building was dedicated on June 21, 1964.

Thirty-four pastors have served the congregation and the church is one of the oldest to be established inside the city. From 1886 to 1890, the church belonged
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to the Neches River Association and from 1891 to the present, it has held membership in the Anderson County Baptist Association, later renamed Saline Baptist Association. The church's history is marked by numerous church activities and community events including summer revivals, weddings, funerals, Easter and Christmas services, Vacation Bible Schools and an annual Christmas food drive. For more than a century, the church has been a beacon of light in the community.
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17177.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1886.
 
Location. 31° 37.304′ N, 95° 35.088′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is on West Parker Street (State Highway 294) ¼ mile west of Hemby Street. The marker is located at the east side of the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 West Parker Street, Elkhart TX 75839, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Henry High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart (approx. half a mile away); Texas State Railroad
The front of the First Baptist Church of Elkhart and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 26, 2022
2. The front of the First Baptist Church of Elkhart and Marker
(approx. 8.2 miles away); Swanson Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Fort Houston Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Site of Old Magnolia (approx. 9.1 miles away); Fort Houston (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
 
Also see . . .  Elkhart, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Elkhart is at the intersection of State Highway 294 and U.S. Highway 287, eleven miles south of Palestine in southern Anderson County. In 1851 members of Daniel Parker's Pilgrim community moved to land around Boxy Creek to take advantage of the new post office and a newly established railroad. With the efforts of a friendly Indian, the newcomers settled into a community that continued to survive. They named the town after the Indian. A nearby spa served many socialites with its excellent mineral waters.
(Submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the First Baptist Church of Elkhart from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, September 26, 2022
3. The view of the First Baptist Church of Elkhart from across the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=207084

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024