Temple in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1893, the Temple Cemetery Company formed, acting as a cemetery association. The company was aided in maintaining the burial ground by the city of Temple and Bell County, which played major roles in building the property's infrastructure. The burial ground expanded between 1884 and 1921, when it was annexed into the city over the years, the association developed further sections of the property and made other additions, including Memorial Garden, which opened in 1962.
Approximately 18,000 individuals are interred in Hillcrest Cemetery, representing diverse nationalities, ethnic groups, religions and cultures. Languages on the gravestones include Chinese, Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian and Vietnamese. Noted
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16162.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 31° 6.849′ N, 97° 20.096′ W. Marker is in Temple, Texas, in Bell County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Front Street and East Shell Avenue. The marker is located at the northwest entrance to the Hillcrest Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1873 North Front Street, Temple TX 76501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr., M.D. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nora Lee Mayhew Wendland (about 700 feet away); Claudia Potter, M.D. (about 700 feet away); George Valter Brindley, Sr., M.D. Raleigh R. White, Jr., M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cyrus Maxwell Campbell (approx. ¼ mile away); Raleigh Richardson White, Sr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Yee Pat Ling (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Temple.
Also see . . . Temple, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Temple is at the intersection of Interstate Highway 35 and State highways 53 and 95, in northeastern Bell County thirty-six miles south of Waco and sixty-seven miles north of Austin. In 1880 Jonathan E. Moore sold 187 acres of his land to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway to use for a construction camp. The site was called Temple Junction by the railroad company, in honor of Bernard Moore Temple, chief engineer of the railroad; local residents called the community Mud Town or Tanglefoot. When a post office was established there in January 1881, the official name became Temple. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe held a sale of town lots in June 1881; there was a nucleus of railroad workers to begin with, and stores went up rapidly. In 1882 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line was built through Temple,(Submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.