Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greensburg in Decatur County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

White Building

 
 
White Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 19, 2022
1. White Building Marker
Inscription.  The west side of this 1885 Italianate commercial style building was occupied by the Fair Store from circa 1908 to 1972. Hunterís Pharmacy replaced the variety store and continued there until 2000. The upper story housed the G.A.R. Hall for nearly 30 years, begining circa 1898. For over 50 years the Menís Shop provided clothing for clients in the east section. Both 2nd levels provided offices for doctors, dentists, and attorneys.
 
Erected by the Decatur County Community Foundation, the Indiana Humanities Council, Historical Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, Decatur County Alliance for Preservation, Historical Society of Decatur County, Students of Greensburg Elementary School fifth seminar, and the St. Maryís Little Hoosiers.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 39° 20.269′ N, 85° 29.033′ W. Marker is in Greensburg, Indiana, in Decatur County. Marker is on East Washington St east of North Broadway Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at or near this postal address: 108 E Washington St, Greensburg IN 47240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carl Fisher (within shouting distance of this marker); Bracken Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Donnell -V.- State, 1852 (within shouting distance of this marker); Zoellner Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilder Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Thomas Hendricks / Elizabeth Trimble Hendricks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Decatur County All Wars Memorial (about 400 feet away); Decatur County Court House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry for the G.A.R. Excerpt:
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army (United States Army), Union Navy (U.S. Navy), and the Marines who served in the American Civil War. It was founded in 1866 in Decatur, Illinois, and grew to include hundreds of "posts" (local community units) across the North and West. It was dissolved in 1956 at the death of its last member.

According to Stuart McConnell: ďThe Grand Army of the Republic, the largest of all Union Army veterans' organizations, was the most powerful single-issue political lobby of the late nineteenth
White Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 19, 2022
2. White Building and Marker
Marker is to the right of the window and above the bench.
century, securing massive pensions for veterans and helping to elect five postwar presidents from its own membership. To its members, it was also a secret fraternal order, a source of local charity, a provider of entertainment in small municipalities, and a patriotic organization.Ē

Linking men through their experience of the war, the G.A.R. became among the first organized advocacy groups in American politics, supporting voting rights for black veterans, promoting patriotic education, helping to make Memorial Day a national holiday, lobbying Congress to establish regular veterans' pensions, and supporting Republican political candidates. Its peak membership, at 410,000, was in 1890, a high point of various Civil War commemorative and monument dedication ceremonies.
(Submitted on October 5, 2022, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.) 
 
Additional keywords. Grand Army of the Republic
 
The White Building is On the Left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 19, 2022
3. The White Building is On the Left
Click on photograph to zoom in.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2022, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2022, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=207262

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024