Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Swainsboro in Emanuel County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Emanuel County

 
 
Emanuel County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Emanuel County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Acts of the Legislature December 10, 1812 & December 6, 1813, is named for David Emanuel, Governor in 1801, several times a legislator, and President of the Senate. A place 1 mile from the center of the County was designated as County Site in 1814 and named Swainsboro for a prominent local family in 1822. The name was changed to Paris in 1854 but the original name was later revived. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Josiah Whitney, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Stephen Rich and Tax Collector & Receiver James Fitzgerald.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 053-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 10, 1539.
 
Location. 32° 35.816′ N, 82° 20.077′ W. Marker is in Swainsboro, Georgia, in Emanuel County. Marker is on West Main St, on the right when traveling south
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Between North Green and South Main Streets, on the former Emanuel County Courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Swainsboro GA 30401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swainsboro Georgia Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Home of George Leon Smith, II (within shouting distance of this marker); Emanuel County Patriot Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Crossroads of the Great South (within shouting distance of this marker); Swainsboro 9/11 Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sgt. Ronald Bruce Price (approx. 0.7 miles away); Don E. Flanders (approx. 0.7 miles away); C O Edwards Jr (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Swainsboro.
 
Also see . . .
1. David Emanuel (Governor of Georgia). Emanuel was a member of the Democratic Republican Party and was the first Jewish governor of any U.S. state. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Emanuel County's. current courthouse was completed in 2002, and a city square was built on the former courthouse site with the old sheriff's office renovated to serve as the office for Emanuel County's Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Emanuel County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2009
2. Emanuel County Marker
City Square was built on the former courthouse site
Emanuel County Chamber of Commerce image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 2009
3. Emanuel County Chamber of Commerce
The old sheriff's office renovated to serve as the office for Emanuel County's Chamber of Commerce. The Old County Courthouse Tribute seen at right.
Emanuel County Former Courthouse Site, erected A.D. 1895 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 1, 2009
4. Emanuel County Former Courthouse Site, erected A.D. 1895
Emanuel County City Square Fountain ~ WWII Memorial (R) and Emanuel County Marker (L) in background image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 1, 2009
5. Emanuel County City Square Fountain ~ WWII Memorial (R) and Emanuel County Marker (L) in background
City Hall lies across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 1, 2009
6. City Hall lies across the street
A Blue Star Memorial Highway sign is seen to the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 886 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20793

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024