Mart in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Mart
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1652.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical date for this entry is April 28, 1878.
Location. 31° 32.592′ N, 96° 49.939′ W. Marker is in Mart, Texas, in McLennan County. It is at the intersection of East Texas Avenue (Farm to Market Road 164) and North Criswell Street, on the left when traveling east on East Texas Avenue. The marker is located in the front of the church building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 East Texas Avenue, Mart TX 76664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. It is also in the American South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Watson Feed Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Organization of the First Baptist Church of Mart (approx. 0.6 miles away); Friedens Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 7 miles away); Friedens Evangelical & Reformed United Church of Christ (approx. 7.2 miles away); Riesel (approx. 7.2 miles away); Perry United Methodist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Prairie Hill Baptist Church (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mart.
Also see . . . Mart, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Mart, once known as Willow Springs, is a small incorporated city eighteen miles east of Waco on State Highway 164 in the eastern corner of McLennan County. Settlement in the area began shortly after the Civil War. The community was known as Willow Springs in the 1870s, but the name was changed to Mart when a post office was granted in 1880. Residents chose this name because they expected the community to become an important commercial center. In the mid-1880s Mart had two steam gristmills and cotton gins, a church, two schools, and 150 residents; cotton and wheat were the principal cash crops grown in the area.(Submitted on October 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


