Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Saint James A.M.E. Church

 
 
Saint James A.M.E. Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 26, 2022
1. Saint James A.M.E. Church Marker
Inscription.  This church was organized by the Rev. Joshua Goins, Sr., in 1883. Services began in the home of Pleasant Zollicoffer and moved to the Odd Fellows' Hall before this church structure was erected in 1907. This building exhibits exceptional craftsmanship and incorporates Gothic Revival style details such as twin towers and gabled facade and Romanesque style rounded windows. Saint James is Milford's oldest African-American church and building.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992

 
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7145.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 32° 7.139′ N, 96° 56.74′ W. Marker is in Milford, Texas, in Ellis County. It is in . Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 308 and Bois D Arc, on the left when traveling south on Highway 308. The marker is located on the middle of the front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 FM 308, Milford TX 76670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
The front view of the Saint James A.M.E. Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 26, 2022
2. The front view of the Saint James A.M.E. Church and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milford Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Milford Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); James McDaniel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thomas J. Jordan (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hammel's Branch (approx. 3 miles away); Mertens Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Old Brandon Mill (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
Also see . . .  African Methodist Episcopal Church. Texas State Historical Association
The African Methodist Episcopal Church grew out of a protest by Richard Allen against racial discrimination in St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, in 1787. Rather than suffer indignities in that White-controlled church, Allen formed a separate Black congregation. In 1816 he organized several Black Methodist congregations into a new denomination called the African Methodist Episcopal Church. In the tense times leading to the Civil War, the AME Church was not permitted to operate in Texas, or in most other parts of the slaveholding South.
(Submitted on October 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Saint James A.M.E. Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 26, 2022
3. The Saint James A.M.E. Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=208868

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 29, 2023