Parris Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Aqui Estuvo España
(Here Was Spain)
In respectful tribute to the memory of those Spaniards who left their mark here between 1566 and 1587 while in quest of their country's glory and in grateful recognisition to the distinguished Americans who today, with their work pay hommage to the memory of those heroes and the history shared by the two nations, Spain and the United States of America.
Los Caballeros de la Orden del Mar Oceano Santa Elana 12 de Octubre de 1982
Dia de la Hispandid — Hispanic Heritage Day
Erected 1982 by Los Caballeros de la Orden del Mar Oceano (The Knights of the Order of the Ocean Sea).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1566.
Location. 32° 18.363′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parris Island SC 29905, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Inhabitants (a few steps from this marker); Parris Island Indians (a few steps from this marker); Fort San Marcos (a few steps from this marker); Jean Ribault Monument (a few steps from this marker); Fort San Marcos & The Ribaut Monument (a few steps from this marker); Charlesfort-Santa Elena Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Parris Island Lighthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Parris Island Plantations (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parris Island.
Regarding Aqui Estuvo España. Recent excavations reveal that this is the site of the Spanish Fort San Marcos that guarded the town of Santa Elena from 1577-1587.
Also see . . . An archaeological evolution, by Stanley A. South. Chapter 15 of this book gives some background on archeological research on Spanish Santa Elena and French Charlesfort, as well as the installation and rebuilding of this marker (pgs. 313-314). (Submitted on July 27, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,364 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.