Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
9 April 1940 Norway was attacked by overwhelming forces. King Haakon VII, Crown Prince Olav and the government left Tromso 7 June for Great Britain in order to continue the fight for freedom in exile. Negotiations had started 2 June and a base for training air force personnel was erected in Toronto using Island Airport. A camp was built on the harbour front and officially opened 10 November 1940.
The national emblems of Canada and Norway have been flying side by side from that date.
Recruits were escaping Norway from behind enemy lines, 4000 miles away, and also volunteers from Canada and other parts of the free world. Island Airport and the camp in Toronto soon became overcrowded. 4 May 1942 Dominion Airport, Muskoka, officially became training base for elementary flying training. At one time 86 Fairchild Cornell PT 19 and PT 26 were in use.
From 1941 advanced training took place in Canada within the British Commonwealth air training plan.
Technical servicing continued at Island Airport. Ground schools were gradually transferred to Muskoka and on April 1943 this camp was sold and became
Vesle Skaugum formerly Interlaken was acquired in the spring 1941 as recreation centre and for the training of recruits. It was sold to Kiwanis Club Toronto 1 June 1945.
From these training establishments known as "Little Norway" more than 2000 trained personnel were sent to Great Britain.
Norway was able to reestablish its Air Force and to maintain 4 national squadrons of aircraft and one air transport unit in the European battle area throughout the war, operating under allied operational command. In addition some became members of RAF units in Bomber Command, Fighter Squadron, Ferry Command, Transport Command, Coastal Command and others.
8 May 1945 the struggle was over and we could return to a free country. Veterans taking part in the unveiling ceremony of a commemorial stone in gratitude to Canada place the above information on this flagpole base in order to remind future generations of the facts.
18 September 1976
The memorial stone is a gift from Norway to Canada. The stone was shaped by nature through glacial action during the last ice age and deposited in a large moraine at the south coast of Norway at Liste. The bronze plaque and text were completed in Norway before shipment to Toronto. The memorial is therefore in every respect
Erected 1976 by the people of Norway.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II.
Location. 43° 38.123′ N, 79° 23.92′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto County. Marker can be reached from Queens Quay West west of Bathhurst Street. Marker is in Little Norway Park, two blocks south of the Gardiner Expressway via Bathurst Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 659 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3H4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. No. 2 (Centre) Blockhouse (approx. half a kilometer away); The Battle of York 1813 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); The Royal York Hotel (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); South African War Memorial (approx. 2 kilometers away); Canadian Airmen Monument (approx. 2.3 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd CaryThe Lake Light (approx. 2.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Little Norway. (Submitted on July 21, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,846 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 21, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.