Missouri City in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John Missionary Baptist Church
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18520.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 29° 33.14′ N, 95° 33.833′ W. Marker is in Missouri City, Texas, in Fort Bend County. It is on Oilfield Road 0.1 miles east of Creekstone Village Drive, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located in the front of the property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6731 Oilfield Road, Missouri City TX 77459, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Houston Metropolitan Area. It is also on the American Gulf Coast. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: DeWalt Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Freedom Tree (approx. 2.2 miles away); Stafford Municipal School District (approx. 3.6 miles away); William J. Stafford Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Stafford Plantation (approx. 3.9 miles away); Paschal Paolo Borden (approx. 4 miles away); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado (approx. 4.3 miles away); Court Hardware Company (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Missouri City.
More about this marker. The church has been demolished and removed from the location. The marker is located on an empty lot.
Also see . . . Dewalt, TX. Texas State Historical Association
Dewalt is at the intersection of State Highway 6 and Farm Road 1092, fourteen miles east of Richmond in eastern Fort Bend County. In the 1850s the site was the plantation headquarters of Thomas Waters Dewalt. After the Civil War the sugar plantation was divided into small blocks, and a predominantly black community grew up there. The town was granted a post office in 1898. The Sugar Land Railroad was built through the community in 1912, and by 1914 Dewalt had a population of 100, two general stores, and a sugar mill. The railroad was abandoned in the 1950s. Dewalt's population was estimated at twenty from 1925 to 1969, forty from 1970 to 1987, and twenty-five from 1988 to 1990. In 1980 the community had a church and a number of dwellings, and by 1990 the city limits of Missouri City had encompassed it.(Submitted on November 10, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,185 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


