Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Alexandria in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gum Springs

 
 
Gum Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), November 12, 2022
1. Gum Springs Marker
Inscription.  Gum Springs, an African-American community, originated here on a 214-acre farm bought in 1833 by West Ford (ca. 1785-1863), a freed man, skilled carpenter, and manager of the Mount Vernon estate. The freedman's school begun here in 1867 at Bethlehem Baptist Church encouraged black settlement. In 1890 the Rev. Samuel K. Taylor, William Belfield, Lovelace Brown, Hamilton Gray, Robert D. King, Henry Randall, and Nathan Webb formed the joint Stock Company of Gum Springs and sold lots. Gum Springs has remained a vigorous black community.
 
Erected 1991 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-94_2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 38° 44.621′ N, 77° 4.841′ W. Marker is near Alexandria, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Sherwood Hall Lane (Virginia Route 626) and Fordson Road, on the right when traveling west on Sherwood Hall Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2808 Sherwood Hall Ln, Alexandria VA 22306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bethlehem Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections (approx. ¼ mile away); Woodlawn Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); West Ford (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Gum Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); US Route 1 Wall of Aviation (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hybla Valley Airport (approx. half a mile away); Peake Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
More about this marker. An identical marker stands several blocks away. The web site for Virginia Department of Historic Resources designates the other marker as E-94_1 and this marker as E-94_2, although the markers themselves both read E-94.
 
Also see . . .  Gum Springs Museum. (Submitted on June 24, 2024.)
 
Gum Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), November 12, 2022
2. Gum Springs Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 193 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210268

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024