Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilkesboro in Wilkes County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bank of Wilkes

Circa 1929

— Wilkesboro Historic Preservation Commission —

 
 
Bank of Wilkes Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
1. Bank of Wilkes Marker
Inscription.  
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
 
Location. 36° 8.888′ N, 81° 9.138′ W. Marker is in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, in Wilkes County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 18/268) west of South Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 W Main St, Wilkesboro NC 28697, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hubbard's (within shouting distance of this marker); Prevette-Lenderman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stoneman's Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Wilkes County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gray Brothers Furniture Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Ben Cleveland (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilkes County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Wilkes County Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilkesboro.
 
Regarding Bank of Wilkes. Excerpt from the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Downtown Wilkesboro Historic District, of which the Bank of Wilkes building is a contributing building:
The one-story brick commercial building was originally the Bank of Wilkes, which failed in 1929. Beginning around 1950, along with 109 West Main Street, the building was occupied by People’s Drug Store. The upper façade dates from the original construction and is composed of checkerboard brick with a central panel and a two-layer dental course. The parapet roof has a terra cotta coping. The remodeled lower façade, with its aluminum-bordered glass door and display windows set within a simulated masonry background and headed by a broad band of black Carrara glass panels, dates from the mid-twentieth century, when the building became a drug store. A round fabric awning shelters the entrance.
 
Bank of Wilkes Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 29, 2022
2. Bank of Wilkes Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210427

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024